Monday, February 13, 2012

Plans and Alternatives

One of the best parts of being an eventer in the winter is making obsessive plans once the spring Omnibus comes out. Over the past month or so I've been pondering Team Riley's spring plans and giving lots of consideration to the various options.

Things were looking great for popping my first USEA entry in the mail tomorrow until I found out over the weekend that one of the best events I've ever been to, FENCE, cancelled its spring horse trial. I don't know who was more excited- me or my dad- but we LOVE this event. How can you not love an event that has a beautiful venue, great early spring weather, a killer competitor's party, and water troughs full of free beer (and other less alcoholic beverages) at the XC course walk? The answer is that you can't.

Which brings me to my next point- one of the greatest characteristics of eventers and equestrians in general is that we're pretty flexible. Never mind that FENCE was cancelled, I didn't like that event anyways (ok, that's a lie). But the Ark looks pretty cool and I had briefly thought about going there when looking at the Omnibus. Not to mention they apparently have zebras and other "exotic animals," which means Will might get to meet and be inspired by one of his more badass relatives. So if everything hopefully falls into place I'll be popping an entry in the mail in the next week or so.

So the revised, tentative spring schedule is as follows:

February 18- Snowbird Dressage (watch out for an extra special Team Riley debut...)
March 10- Lakeside Arena H/J (?)
March 11- Covered Bridge PC Combined Test
March 17- Snowbird Dressage
April 1- Spring Horse Trials at the Ark (?)
April 7-8- Spring Bay Horse Trials
May 12- Sayre School Combined Test (?)
May 19-20- Greater Dayton Horse Trials (?)
June 1-3- IEA Horse Trials
June 8-10- Spring Run Horse Trials (?)

All of this is of course assuming that I can fund these endeavors and that Will doesn't come up with any more of his sneaky plans to avoid horse shows. In the meantime, though, this thankfully gives me a lot to think about and distract me from the nasty weather outside and the pile of law books dying to be read!

1 comment: